Course Content Your Way (Ally for Students)
There is a now a feature available in Canvas that allows you to download course content in a number of different formats - including audio! For example, if your course has a PDF file that is hard to read on your phone you can download it as an audio or ePub file and read it on the go... like magic!
So Where do I Find These Magical Formats?
In Canvas most files have a drop down menu where you can download the file. Wherever you see the download option there is also an option to download alternative formats of that file:
When you click on "Accessible Versions" you will see a dialog with all of the formats that content is available for you to download:
Available formats include:
- Tagged PDF - a more accessible type of PDF file.
- HTML -provides a version you can view in any browser.
- ePub - great for reading on mobile devices such as a phone, iPad or Kindle.
- Electronic braille - cool right? Did you know braille can be electronic.
- Audio - an MP3 fie that you can listen to on the go on your preferred device.
Once you select your desired format and click "Download". If it is the first time the file has been created it may take a minute or two for the file to be ready - at that point it will download to your computer or mobile device and is ready to use. Consider opening up multiple tabs if you need to download multiple files.
More information for students using the tool is available on the Ally website.