Create a Turnitin assignment
Turnitin is a software program that helps you detect plagiarism by comparing text from student assignments to a database of outside sources. You can enable Turnitin in Canvas as an External Tool submission type. Students submit their assignments through the Turnitin dialog box embedded on the Canvas assignment page.
Please note the following limitations when creating Turnitin assignments:
- You cannot use Turnitin with group assignments.
- Turnitin assignments cannot include more than one submission date; differentiated due dates are not supported.
- You cannot restrict student submission types. By default, Turnitin always allows students to submit their assignment as a text entry or upload any supported file types. Turnitin does not allow students to submit unsupported file types. For a list of supported file types, see Submit a Turnitin Assignment.
- Students cannot submit multiple file uploads.
- If you want to use a Canvas rubric for the assignment, you must add the rubric before setting the External Tool submission type. Create the assignment with any other submission type, save the assignment, add the rubric, and then edit the assignment type.
- If you want your assignment to be moderated, you must set up the moderated assignment before setting the External Tool submission type. If you need to return to the moderate page after the External Tool is added, open the assignment and add /moderate after the assignment URL.
To create a Turnitin assignment, follow these steps:
- In Canvas, on the course navigation menu, click Assignments.
- On the Assignments page, click Add Assignment.
- On the Assignment Details page, complete the Assignment Name, Description, Points, Assignment Group and Display Grade As fields.
- In the Submission type field, select External Tool.
- In the URL field, click Find.
- In the Configure External Tool dialog box, click the Turnitin LTI tool.
- Click Select.
- Set the assignment due and availability dates.
- Click Save.
- The Turnitin tool appears at the bottom of the assignment. Click the Settings tab to configure the Turnitin assignment settings.
- Be sure to expand the Optional Settings link and review them carefully, making adjustments as needed. Click Submit when you are done.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. The text in this topic is adapted from the Instructor Guide created by the Canvas Doc Team at Instructure.