Post a Video as a Discussion Reply
Some discussion assignments may require you to embed a video in the discussion forum.
Note: For information on using the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder, see Recording a presentation using CaptureSpace.
To post a video response to a discussion, follow these steps:
- Log on to your Canvas course.
- In the course navigation menu, click Discussions.
- In the Discussions list, click the discussion to which you want to post.
- On the Discussion page, click Reply.
- On the menu bar, click Embed Media.
- On the Embed Media page, click the Add New drop-down menu. Then, select Desktop Video Capture to create a new recording.
- If you haven't used Kaltura Capture, choose which version to download. After it downloads, install the software.
- Close the pop-up window.
- Repeat Steps 5 & 6 above, then click "Open link" and the Kaltura Capture application should launch. (On a PC, it should lauch the application automatically.)
- Choose the desired inputs for recording; 1) desktop with drop-down option to select which monitor or part of a monitor, 2) camera, 3) microphone. If the icon is blue it will
record that source. If you don't want to record a source, click on it and it will appear gray with a line through it. Click the 4) record button to begin recording.
- During recording, you'll see a pop-up window with a stopwatch and stop and pause buttons. Click the white square to stop the recording.
- Check the 1) preview to make sure you recorded what you wanted to record. Then, give the recording a 2) title and 3) tag with your course department and number. Finally, click the 4) Save & Upload button.
- Going back to your Canvas window, you will see the "Embed Media" window. Find the video you recorded and use the Select drop-down menu to click on "Small" for the preview size that will appear in your post.
- If asked if you would like to submit the media as an assignment, click Yes, please.
- Wait for video to process until the blue line gets to the end of the window.
- Add introductory text, if desired. Then, click Post Reply.
Canvas embeds the recording in the discussion forum.